Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign earned income exclusion resulting in nol?

EAintheVI
Level 2

I have a client that has lived overseas for several years and wanted to get up to date with his filings since he will be moving back to the US shortly.  All his earned income is from overseas, in preparing the 2555, its creating a net of loss that is rolling over to the following year.  Is that correct?  

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

It couldn't have.  Check your worksheet again.  That's because foreign earned income exclusion can't exceed your client's foreign earned income.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

If your client never filed his US returns to claim foreign earned income exclusion, check also that he still is eligible for late election.

Depending on your client's level of income and whether there's any US source income, your client may, however, have SLL, OFL, and/or ODL for foreign tax credit purposes, which would be subject to recapture.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
EAintheVI
Level 2

Yes he has filed previous tax returns with foreign earned income exclusively.  He is currently trying to get the last 3 years prepared.  The return he brought me for reference has a NOL rolling forward. He has no us source income of any kind. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

That's straight forward enough then.  Check your worksheet.  It's most likely standard deduction that you need to add back as a non-business deduction - you're probably missing that step.

Still an AllStar
EAintheVI
Level 2

I got it figured out, thank you.  The previous filings were a little confusing to me at first, thank you for your time.

itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @EAintheVI.  If we answered your question, please consider identifying the post with the solution to help those who may have similar questions in the future.

Have a great weekend!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers