Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For MD Practitioners - Error or Me?

dascpa
Level 11

Dependent child. $7000 W-2, $4,000 unemployment.  No Federal tax and of course all unemployment is subtracted out. MD return is showing a tax due but MD Minimum Filing Level for Single and dependent taxpayers is $12,400. Why is there a MD tax due? FAGI is only $7,000. I could of course delete the state return but not sure why ProSeries is reporting tax due. 

MD return shows $7k FAGI, $1,550 std ded and $5,450 taxable. Usually computation will reflect a -0-.

Am I missing something or just burnt out?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
rbynaker
Level 13

They still have 2 1/2 months to finish the MD programming right?  Maybe you're just trying to file too early.

Unless we're missing some facts, I don't see why tax would be calculated.  Drake stops at the $7K MD AGI since it's under the threshold.

dascpa
Level 11

@Orlando See prior post.  After unemployment update MD form 502 is creating tax on a return that falls below the minimum filing threshold. Used to automatically be -0-. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont think this is Orlando's department, he's does the programs exterior (install, HB, etc)   @IntuitAustin should be able to get this to where it needs to go.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Thank you.  Orlando is the only name I've seen on this board. Would be nice if we had access to know who is who.  I'm thinking of buying ProSeries the company and making it bigger and better.  Wonder how many $200 returns I'll need to fund the purchase.

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I know it's hard to tell - I'm sorry about that. Either Austin, myself or @SDJayhawk can usually route to that right person.  In this case I've let SDJayhawk know - it might be her team or a related team.

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

Thanks for letting us know.  I've communicated the issue to the development team.  

0 Cheers
SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

The development team can not duplicate the issue and we have not heard of similar issues in the MD product.  

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

So it's official, you must be hallucinating.

With so many programming changes this year (particularly on your side of the river) my guess is that something got corrupted along the way.  I would try to delete the state return.  It wouldn't hurt to save & exit after deleting MD.  Then when you open it again it should ask you if you want to transfer the state data again (used to anyway).  That should start you with a "clean" MD return.  It also wouldn't hurt to cross your fingers.

Rick

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Already tried deleting the state return and open it again - same result.  Also re-transferred the file from 2019 (since a kid with only two forms) and re-entered the W-2 and 1099-G.  Same result.  ProSeries says they cannot duplicate issue.  I will send a sanitized file to them. 

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Ugh.  What a fun year, eh?

0 Cheers