Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix an EIN error in Form 941

Greta
Level 9

I erroneously sent off 941 forms with a SSN instead of the EIN number. The payments were made correctly under the EIN number. Any efficient way to fix this error on the 941?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im guessing you would file a 941X correcting that wrong one with the SSN to all zeros, then file a new 941 with the proper EIN on it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

She is a good guesser since that is the route you would need to go.

Slava Ukraini!

Under the IRS e-filing rules, if the IRS rejects an e-filed return, the IRS employs a 10-day lookback rule that will consider the return filed on the original submission date if all issues are corrected within 10 calendar days. The date is not extended regardless of weekends, holidays or the end of the year cutoff. Thus, if you entered in the wrong EIN, you should be able to cure the return within this 10-day period without filing an amended form 941-X.  However, if you do not correct the return within this 10-day window, then IRonMaN and the others are correct, you would need to file an amended form 941-X by paper (as the IRS does not accept this form electronically). This comment isn't so much for you (as 10 days is long past), but might help the next person searching for an answer.

MBH1954
Level 2

Just want to make sure that I understand what you are saying.  I filed my first quarter 2020 941 with the wrong tax id number (transposed numbers).  All of the amounts are correct, and all of the deposits were made correctly with the correct tax id number.

So, I file a 941X with the wrong number and all zeroes where the dollar amounts go (does all blanks work?), and then file a 941 with the correct Tax ID and same amounts even though it is 9 months late?

Just came across this by accident, but I'm glad I did!

Thanks for your help!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
That would be my plan of attack.
I did have a client that we used the wrong EIN on his 941, IRS actually sent a letter telling us it was wrong and gave us the correct one, they fixed it on their end, we didnt have to do anything. We didnt have any EFTPS payments that needed to get moved or anything, so it wasnt too messy.

MBH1954
Level 2

That is what I am wondering - if I should just let well enough alone until/unless they catch it.  Filed a paper return.  If I had efiled, I guess it would have rejected it.  Thanks for your help.  That is not what I was going to do, so I'm grateful that I saw this.

0 Cheers
MBH1954
Level 2

Since you have been so helpful - one more question.  To complicate things further - our address has changed since first quarter.  It actually only changed in the fourth quarter, so when I file the new first quarter 941 should I put the new address or the address for the time period that I was originally filing? Thanks!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Use your current address.

Ex-AllStar
MBH1954
Level 2

OK.  Thanks.

Just one more question.

I am assuming I enter the zeroes in Column , enter the amount originally report in Column 2 and the difference in Column 3 since I actually did report numbers.  Surely I am not the only person who ever did this.  Seems like there would be a way to correct just the Tax ID number, but if there is, I can't find it.

Thanks so much!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Have you tried calling IRS?

Specific Employment Tax issues (Form 941 returns/notices) should be referred to 800-829-4933.

0 Cheers
MBH1954
Level 2

Sorry - couldn't edit my question.  In Part one there are 2 choices - under reported amounts and over reported amounts.  I am guessing I would choose over reported since I shouldn't have reported anything under that number?

0 Cheers
MBH1954
Level 2

No, but I guess I can.  The last time I tried calling (on another issue) I was on hold so long my phone battery died. Thanks for the number. At least that should get me to the right place.

0 Cheers