Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Efiling with ProSeries

GodFather
Level 8

About to efile a 2019 federal 1040.  MFS client also has a New Jersey 1040 return.  I believe I followed all the steps needed to prepare the returns for efile.  A few items to note:

- Owes Federal, NJ Refund

- TP will pay by paper check, refund by paper check as well

- I want the federal return to be accepted before I file the NJ return.  I assume I only check the Federal box?  Once accepted, I can go back and check and file the NJ box?

Any input / suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

I've always selected both federal and state but Yes, you can efile federal, wait for acceptance, then efile state.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

First time efling  with ProSeries - Welcome !!!   You have come to the right place for answers, humor, opinions, and recipes.

Your process outlined looks good.   

Some suggestions:   You did a review of the return to confirm no errors exist ?  Prevents rejection when trying to transmit.      Are you selecting the return through the Efile Center ? -my preferred method rather than the EF Now

Good Luck

GodFather
Level 8

I did check the return for errors and I do not see any after rectifying a few error prompts.  

I'm clicking the EF tab on the top of the return.  When I do that, I see both the Federal and NJ return.  Like I said, I hope to file the Federal first and once that is accepted, file NJ.  That's how I did it with my previous program which allowed you to "hold" the state return until the Federal was accepted.  

Does this sound like the correct route to go?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I've always selected both federal and state but Yes, you can efile federal, wait for acceptance, then efile state.

GodFather
Level 8

Thank you for the response, DKH.  

I always worked under the assumption that if the federal is not accepted you could go back and potentially adjust any issues on the state return that may have caused the federal rejection...so efile federal first. 

Thanks again for chiming in. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think Intuit will hold the state and only send it to NJ once the fed accepts anyhow, if fed rejects, it will reject NJ right along with it.

Thats how it works with CA.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I believe some states are piggybacked on the federal, and can't be filed later. Not positive, but why not just file both at same time to be safe

dkh
Level 15