Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firpta tax

LISA7
Level 1

I have a client that is foreign, however meets the substantial presence test therefore I was preparing 1040 for the past years which included a rental property.

The taxpayer sold the investment property and firpta tax was withheld.  It appears the only way to report this withholding is by filing 1040NR.  The  taxpayer will loose deductions he has been entitled to in past years.   I don't know if there is a way around filing the 1040NR verses the 1040.  The form 8288a is only availble with the 1040NR.  

I read you can file form 843 for an early request refund of Firpta withholding, however the entire amount withheld is not refundable since there will be a capital gain after recapture of the depreciation.

Any thoughts on how to proceed with filing would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

What your client should have done to avoid FIRPTA withholding was to submit a W-9 at the time of sale.

Since the IRS' schema does not permit the filing of F.8288-A with F.1040 but F.1040NR, the return may need to be filed on paper.  If you override and e-file, just be ready to respond to a notice as the IRS' system wouldn't know how to process the F.8288-A you attach as a PDF and may not be able to match the FIT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers