Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Form 1099-MISC with the IRS

ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

I filed a Form 1099-MISC with the IRS a few years ago, and it was easy. I'm almost positive I did it on the same platform as the W-2s -- with the SSA. This could be like 3-4 years back.

Well, I had a client come in needing to file a 1099-MISC in March, and I said, "Sure, no problem." I tried to do it on the SSA site, but there was no place to do 1099s. The only thing I see for 1099s is "FIRE" -- Filing Information Returns Electronically. I go to the FIRE site, and in order to file there, I need to set up an account (I have an account on SSA, but this appears to be a totally different system). I went to sign up for an account, but I need a "Transmitter Control Code." In doing some more research, a "Transmitter Control Code" is only used for 1095s -- those health insurance forms. But I don't have a Transmitter Control Code, and I don't want a Transmitter Control Code, and I don't need one, because I'm not filing any Forms 1095, I'm trying to file a 1099.

Does anyone know how to file a 1099 when you don't have a TCC? I've tried to call every number they give me, and of course they are all closed, and tell you to go online, but all it says online is that the TCC is used for insurance filing (which isn't what I need), and that to file a 1099-MISC you need to go to FIRE (which requires a TCC) -- which is contradictory.... so I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im cheap (cough cough) frugal  LOL  I send them in on paper using the free forms IRS sends me each year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

I couldn't figure out how to get forms from the IRS, even. They took down their "order forms" site (or hid it somewhere....)

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

They have always been filed with IRS, not Social Security.  IRS has always required that paper forms use the special red ink needed by 1970s scanners.  You can buy them at office-supply stores, or IRS will send them for free when their forms distribution system is open, which is not now.  You might ask @Just-Lisa-Now- , she probably has some extras to share.  😎

ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

National Distribution Center Closed

The IRS’s National Distribution Center is closed until further notice. We are not able to take any orders for forms or publications to be mailed during this time. Most forms and publications are available for download electronically at www.IRS.gov/forms.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Actually I think I do have extras left over!

@ShoeBox Taxes if you send me your mailing address in a private message (use the little envelope icon in the top right corner of the screen), I'll send you what I can...how many do you need?  Ive got 1099MISC and 1096's   I dont have any other types of 1099s.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

Quick question, Bob:

Is it possible to file them online? If so, how / where?

qbteachmt
Level 15

Did you google it?

https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com/signin.htm

https://www.tax1099.com/

https://www.track1099.com/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
hillsboro15269
Level 4

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant file online for free. Like there is for W-2s, through SSA.

I'm not going to pay $3 for every filing. That's ridiculous! There should be an online service, like there is with W-2s.

qbteachmt
Level 15

If I knew of a free file service, I would have posted the link. If you find one, please post the link.

If you have Intuit Payroll for QB, you get to use their service at no additional charge, which is why I listed that link:

"Feel free to use the User Name you already created for access to TurboTax, QuickBooks, Quicken, Lacerte, or other Intuit products.

Which forms does Quick Employer Forms handle?

Quick Employer Forms handles the following forms:

• 1099-MISC
  • 1099-INT
  • 1099-DIV
  • W-2"
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@hillsboro15269  "I'm not going to pay $3 for every filing. That's ridiculous!"

But you don't have to pay for it! You can bill it to the client.

0 Cheers