Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing final return for a client who died in 2018. Capital loss carryovers shouldn't be subject to the 3K limit. How can I use more that limit? PS not allowing me.

costataxservice
Level 1

According to the IRS, capital losses can be used on the final tax return.  Then lost forever.  How do I make Proseries Basic let me go beyond the limit?  I've already indicated the date of death.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

They expire after death. Where is your cite?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

They expire after death. Where is your cite?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
isn't it on a final trust or estate return the losses can be used and distributed to the beneficiaries on the final K1?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I agree with you re: trust/estates. The remaining losses are released.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
"According to the IRS, capital losses can be used on the final tax return"

Read the not so fine print - 1041 vs 1040.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
@costataxservice   I think you're missing an important detail....the type of return its referring to.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Isn't that Date of Death only on the personal tax return?  If so, he is talking about the 1040, and it is limited to $3000.
0 Cheers
costataxservice
Level 1
Yes it is a 1040.  I can't find anything that says that it is still limited.  Sounds pretty unreasonable if still subject to 3000.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its only on a fiduciary return (1041) that the losses can flow through to the beneficiaries in the final year.   

It doesn't work that way with individual returns (1040).

IRS rules aren't generally known for being reasonable.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Dying also sounds pretty unreasonable to me, but it is still going to happen to all of us - eventually :cry::cry:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers