Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filing amended returns for 2014 and 2015

mickey
Level 4

Someone did not file a schedule C for the 2014 and 2015 tax years although she incurred expenses.

As a result the IRS levied taxes based on the 1099s reported to her.

Questions:

1.  Is it too late to amend these years' returns and add in the expenses?

2.  If, for some reason, she entered into an installment agreement with the IRS (she can't remember for sure), will she be able to file the amended returns?

I've looked around.  It seems like they are saying 3 years is about the limit.  Asking if anyone has any tips and if you've tried amending a really old return, similar to this?

Thank you!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes.

Yes.

Three years is often the limit for receiving a refund or being assessed tax.  But an amended return can be filed anytime to correct/reduce the amount that the IRS assessed.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes.

Yes.

Three years is often the limit for receiving a refund or being assessed tax.  But an amended return can be filed anytime to correct/reduce the amount that the IRS assessed.

BobKamman
Level 15

You can amend, but refunds will be limited to tax paid in last two years.  Get an account transcript. 

The CP-2000 assessment can be abated if they accept her expenses -- I'm not sure whether this needs to be done under Audit Reconsideration procedures.  Another route might be an Offer In Compromise claiming doubt as to liability.  

mickey
Level 4

She's not looking for any refunds, only to reduce any balance due.

Now, the challenge is to find the software going back that far. 🙂

I've been a Proseries for many years.  Hopefully, it's available somewhere for me to download.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
George4Tacks
Level 15
File within 2 years of payment of tax. https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/amended-returns-form-1040x/amended-returns-form-1040x#:~:tex....

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns