Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing amended return for 2019, but error message

Johnl777
Level 3

When I open 2019 Form 1040 return than was previously e-filed correctly and successfully, I get error of Form 1040-X. Seems like this came up before, but cannot find fix. I want to amend the 2019 return to file a Form 5329 for RMD that was not taken, but should have been. The error message says cannot efile amended return, because original return was not successfully efiled, but it was with no problem. Is there a fix for this?  Also, looks like different procedure now to amend 2019: have to do a backup first? Confusing. Thanks for any help. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Did YOU Efile the original return with ProSeries?

You must use the original file as the amended....not a copy.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Johnl777
Level 3

Yes, filed the original return in Pro Series, and was accepted.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
and youre using that same file that is in the Accepted Tab, and marking it as amended and making the changes to it?

0 Cheers
Johnl777
Level 3

Yes, tried all that. I think the problem is that all 2019 returns that I had efiled are all showing 1040-X errors now, even though I did all the updates etc. They all show the same 1040X. Was there a fix for that?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I havent had any issues Efiling a 2019 amended return, Im not aware of any 1040X errors, sorry.

You may have to call in and have them walk through it with you.

0 Cheers