Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a New York non-resident return and it says "date moved into state has invalid date" but there

caj111
Level 4

Hello,

I have a client that is filing a New York non-resident return, but it gives me the error message "Date moved into state has invalid date".  I have set this as a non-resident return so they worked in but never lived in the state.  I have no date to enter, and I specifically checked the box in Part II of the worksheet that says "Nonresident: Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part Year Resident Return". I keep getting the error message when I try to file.

Also, the federal return they are filing is a federal non-resident alien return, Form 1040NR and they are claiming a refund of incorrectly withheld New York State tax, so that may be part of the problem.

What is the issue here?

Thanks in advance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
DTNY07
Level 7

I don't know if this is the issue

But in 2019, NYS started allowing e-file with foreign addresses on it.  Did you mark the NYS return for e-file?

I only have one US non resident client that needs to file a NYS non resident return, so I don't have a lot to deal with in that regard.

0 Cheers
caj111
Level 4

Hi, yes, I marked the return as e-file.  It still won't let me e-file because it is essentially saying I have to enter the date they moved into the state.  But they were never a resident of the state.

0 Cheers