Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filed taxes incorrectly on an entity

Jane918
Level 3

We filed 2019 taxes on what was a C Corp in 2018.  They have since informed us that they converted their entity to a single person LLC, so they really just needed to file a Schedule C on their personal return.  The C Corp for 2019 has been filed and accepted.  The LLC was formed in 2019. Now what?  I'm trying to research this, but not coming up with a solid answer.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The best solution is to fire the client for not telling you that BEFORE you prepared the corporate return.  😁

@Jane918 wrote:

The LLC was formed in 2019. 

Was it formed January 1st?  If not, it seems likely that SOME of the business was done under the corporation.  The client would need to sort out all of the income and expenses between the corporation and the newly formed LLC.  You would then amend the 1120 to reflect the corporate income.

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The best solution is to fire the client for not telling you that BEFORE you prepared the corporate return.  😁

@Jane918 wrote:

The LLC was formed in 2019. 

Was it formed January 1st?  If not, it seems likely that SOME of the business was done under the corporation.  The client would need to sort out all of the income and expenses between the corporation and the newly formed LLC.  You would then amend the 1120 to reflect the corporate income.

Jane918
Level 3

Will do...thank you!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Not only to reflect the 2019 corporate income but to show the liquidation of the corporation, which is taxable.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

"They have since informed us that they converted their entity to a single person LLC"

You don't just "convert" a Corporation (C or S) to anything.  The Corp is liquidated with the distribution of the assets effectively being sold at fair market value - which quite often creates a taxable gain.

And was the Corp dissolved with the appropriate state authorities.

I agree with Bill - this client should likely be fired.  And I suggest getting a LARGE retainer up front, as this will be complicated to unwind. There will likely be tax consequences, which will probably p.o. the client.  Clients that are p.o.'d are often reluctant to pay.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Jane918
Level 3

Understood, thank you.  Yes, it was filed through the state authority. The status with the state reads "Conversion"

I may have worded that incorrectly.  Thank you!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

State 'verbiage' doesn't trump the IRC.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I agree with Bill - this client should likely be fired."

But if we start firing just for stupidity, I'm only going to have a couple of clients left 😟 

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Jeff... you say that like it would be a bad thing; I'm thinking this crisis is my chance to really thin the (my) herd.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

But I really wouldn't have a herd left.   I would be able to fit the remaining "herd" in the box of my truck. 😬

Slava Ukraini!
Jane918
Level 3

I have a client for you! haha:)

IRonMaN
Level 15

I have a whole herd for you.  I have been on the phone trying to hire enough cowboys to head up the cattle drive.  They have the wagons loaded and are waiting on the hand sanitizer order to arrive before they can head out.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did they keep doing payroll? Because that right there is a pretty significant difference.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Jane918
Level 3

He did not have payroll, thank goodness.  He should not have even formed a C Corp in the first place.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"He did not have payroll, thank goodness"

Which means the 1120 was a problem, because corporations have payroll.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Jane918
Level 3

He didn't pay himself at all from the corporation

0 Cheers