Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"File is currently locked by ."

Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Above is the message we now receive after ProSeries 2020 shut itself down while a user was working in the client file.  [Have rebooted machine (and network) and have run HomeBase Maintenance.]  Anyone know how to get this client file opened?  Tilde lock files seem to be no more.  Would deleting cache file help?  Or, is this a total loss.  Thank you in advance evening support group.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15
5 Comments 5
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

You should always be able to open a file without a cache file - you just have to use File->Open instead of HomeBase Maintenance. Then when you save it will create the cache file and add to homebase.  Given that, i'd try renaming it, then open on a machine. I'd expect that to work, but maybe something else is going on. I'll also ask the experts around here.

George4Tacks
Level 15
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Did everything in the link above a few times and finally got it to open and save (using desktop,etc. approach).  Thank you, saved me 3 hours worth of work.

For the suggestion box:  PS has a longer memory than usual this year and, while I appreciate the need to protect the sanctity of files, the network administrator needs a way in which to open/unlock problematic files.  This event occurred due to the 'unprovoked' shut down of 2020.  It seems that PS tends to fight more and more for Intuit resources that may be shared by both PS and QB when both are open/in use.

Thanks for the help.

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Here's how you fix it. I have this happen at least 1-2 times each tax season.

Change the file name from SMITH-JOHN to SMITH-JOHNX. Then restore the new file into your homebase and open it. It was contain all the info from the original file. Problem solved.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I don't think that will work anymore in Ty20.  Now it won't restore unless you have both the file and the corresponding .cache file. Just now I tried renaming both SMITH-JOHN.20i and SMITH-JOHN.20i.cache to SMITH-JOHNX, followed by a restore - and it just deleted the cache file.  It did not add SMITH-JOHNX to homebase.

Instead, I think you just have to rename SMITH-JOHNX and File->Open it. Then when you save the new .cache file is generated and it shows up in homebase.

If you want to do a bunch of these at once.. I'm not sure. I can ask and see what we can do.

0 Cheers