Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEMA disaster area automatic extension

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

So, in their infinite wisdom, Thursday, the IRS issued a statement that about 20 counties (including some surrounding counties of ours), were automatically given to Aug 2, 2021 to file returns becuase of some wind storms on March 25.    I basically have 2 questions:

Should I EF  4868s anyways, because I don't have great confidence with the IRS globally automatically extending those returns"

and how will the IRS determine their location county, if their physical location is in an effected county, but their mailing address is connected to a city in a non-extended county?

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

When in doubt, I tend to go the safe route and would file the extensions.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I would file extensions anyhow, I wouldnt count on IRS to get this right and I sure wouldnt want to have to mail in a bunch of penalty abatement letters!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

I would file the extensions just to be safe as soon as possible... Also I do believe the IRS does have the capability to determine exactly what county the individual lives in... Here in Pennsylvania there is a website where you can type in someone's address and it'll tell you the exact Township, I.E. the local entity, that they live in , so I do not see why the IRS cannot have the same capability at a countywide level ..... Just my opinion

SStephen
Level 1

That's what I'm thinking, file the extensions anyway.  My problem is, I don't find any guidance on further Form 7004 extensions to September 15th, 2021 for 2020 business and trust returns here in Texas.  I know we received disaster extensions to June 15th, but several clients will still not have it together by then.  I had tried to actually file extensions on March 15th, but my electricity went out that day and I had no internet or water and was in the hospital with Covid prior to that.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

After reading your post, my tax season doesn’t seem so bad after all 

Slava Ukraini!