Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feed the hungry with stimulus checks for deceased taxpayers

Highlighted
Level 8

There are many conversations about deceased taxpayers receiving stimulus checks.  Why not donate that money to your local food bank.   

Labels (1)
8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Level 15

Because you are missing one four letter word - greed.

Ok, maybe it's five, but I never claimed to be good with numbers.

There are some good people out there and maybe that will happen with some of the money.  But the good people appear to be getting trampled by the greedy ones at this point.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Level 11

The deceased taxpayers I know left widows who are now trying to make ends meet on one Social Security check, rather than two.  

Meanwhile, more than 80 percent of the benefits of a tax change tucked into the CARES Act will go to those who earn more than $1 million annually.

So you can talk about greedy widows.  I would rather focus on the greedy rich.  

Highlighted
Level 15

Greed has no income limits.  But you hit on what I have been grumbling to myself about since the free money has been oozing out of Washington.  Why wasn't a little prioritizing done before the wallet was opened?  Why not focus first on the people and businesses that really need some help right now rather than just drive down the highway throwing hundred dollar bills out the the back of a truck for anybody to scoop up?  Businesses were rushing to be first in line at the bank like Walmart shoppers on Black Friday morning.  First come first serve, it didn't really matter if you were doing just fine without the PPP money.

Highlighted
Level 8

@BobKamman  I wouldn't expect a surviving widow to give up any of the stimulus check.  I was referring to those that mentioned a son, brother-in-law, the surviving parent that passed 2018/2019 that received the $1200 check.  All were concerned with having to give back to IRS - which they won't.  They could do something generous in the deceased's honor by giving to their community food bank.  

@Curlydvm, @Tntlugo22, @Patty63, @hannah, @RoyalK, @Paul H, @AAckley19, @mcarpe   

Highlighted
Level 11

@dkh  "All were concerned with having to give back to IRS - which they won't. "

And, why won't they?  The President was asked about the decedent checks yesterday, and answered “we’ll get that back.” So either he’s a fool for thinking that will be done, or you’re a fool for advising people to give away money that’s not theirs. I didn’t see the part in your original post about exceptions for needy widows. Maybe the President has one too, and just didn’t mention it. 

@IRonMaN 

It is naive to think of this as a program to help people who need the cash. They did that already with unemployment benefits. Whenever bipartisan support is involved, you can be sure that it is for the benefit of the banks. The less money is spent, the more is left interest-free on deposit in checking accounts. They can loan that out at high interest rates to their most credit-worthy customers. You’ll still see bank failures later this year, though.

Highlighted
Level 15

@BobKamman  Never think of me as naive.  I just like to use common sense when I can and dealing with with the federal government pretty much throws that common sense stuff out the window.  Maybe we should elect a businessman as a president so we can handle the program like it should be handled.  Wait, didn't we already try that experiment?  My old boss once said that they should just draft people to serve in Washington.  You do your tour of duty and then come home and let the next draft go do their thing.  It really couldn't be much worse than what exists is Washington these days.

Highlighted
Level 11

@IRonMaN 

But don't drafts spread the virus farther than six feet?

Highlighted
Level 8

@BobKamman wrote:

@dkh  "All were concerned with having to give back to IRS - which they won't. "

And, why won't they?  The President was asked about the decedent checks yesterday, and answered “we’ll get that back.” So either he’s a fool for thinking that will be done, or you’re a fool for advising people to give away money that’s not theirs. I didn’t see the part in your original post about exceptions for needy widows. Maybe the President has one too, and just didn’t mention it. 

He's a fool. 😁