Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

federal tax due

taxlady11
Level 1

If interest was left off a return and $7 is due in tax.

Would the IRS send a notice for the $7?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

Not unless you filed an amended return.  But we can start the discussion of, "What's the lowest amount you have seen as a tax assessment from a CP2000?"  I remember one a few years ago for $400.  Or maybe it was $500.  

taxlady11
Level 1

My Client just found the 1099 int but I already printed it.  Should i add it and reprint? Was wondering what's the lowest amount you've seen on a tax notice?  It is a waste of paper

for the IRS and me.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I have a client that recently got a CP2057 saying "we think you need to file an amended return for 2019".

He forgot a W2 for $900 wages, so it makes less than $200 difference on the return....why not just a CP2000? Will they not bother chasing down this money unless he files a 1040X?

Oddly enough the CP2057 doesnt show the withholding on the W2, just the income.....it was a SUB benefit for unemployment through the union, they always take withholding from those....so it would be even less of a balance due.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I wouldn't waste my time with something that small.  CAGMC. 

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

That's like the warning letters they used to send (maybe still do) that say "we noticed you claimed as a dependent someone who was also claimed on another return."  They didn't want to make an adjustment and get involved in a fight between former spouses.  It doesn't cost much to send a slap on the wrist and a reminder not to do it again next time.  If they got an amended return from it, so much the better.