Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extensions for partnership beyond the due deadline

joanne1
Level 2

For some reason, my extension request was rejected when I filed it in January.

But the return was automatically extended until July 15th.

So, now I will still need more time, but ProSeries will not let me file because it is past the "March 16th deadline"

How can I fix this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

Paper?

Ex-AllStar
msmith7305
Level 7

Others will disagree with me on this, but Calendar Year Partnerships were NOT auto extended to July 15.

That's my opinion.

You can look on the IRS website at "Filing and Payment Deadlines Questions and Answers" and Notice 2020-23 and form your own opinion.

Good luck!

0 Cheers
joanne1
Level 2

thank you...yes I am aware of mailing in the extension but am concerned that ProSeries has not changed the software...

0 Cheers
joanne1
Level 2

Thank you...I will do some additional checking as there may have been a notice issued when they allowed for extending 990's

0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7

There is a long trail of notices.

0 Cheers
joanne1
Level 2

While the IRS website, does not specifically address partnerships.

If you take a look at Notice 2020-23, read through Part III, the third bullet point, does include partnerships in the relief granted to 7/15...just an fyi.

msmith7305
Level 7

Joanne -

Did you go here? https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-and-payment-deadlines-questions-and-answers

If you look at the 7th question under eligibility it is:

"Are the filing deadlines for partnerships and S-corporations whose returns were due to be filed on March 16, 2020, postponed?

I would say that does directly answer your question.

As far as Notice 2020-23, in my opinion (for what it's worth!) the operative language is found in the first sentence under III. GRANT OF RELIEF A. Taxpayers Affected...….

"a Federal tax return or other form filing obligation specified in this section III.A (Specified Form), which is due to be performed (originally or pursuant to a valid extension) on or after April 1, 2020, and before July 15, 2020"

0 Cheers