Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension ? Guess Not

It is concerning to say the least that after many years, at least 12, using ProSeries and NEVER before this year was it an issue, that such a change not be screamed from rooftops.

So If I e-filed an extension (Form 4868) and it was accepted, and have also already actually e-filed the return, it also accepted, yet in my state so some reason suddenly the software requires I manually select to extend the state return on info sheet?  Since when?  Here's one if you go into a prior year and look at any return with an extension and go to to state info sheet, you can not even select or de-select the box, why?  This has been auto calculated on your behalf....  If that change was implemented for 2020 software , Ill accept that.....  I need to be showed how ProSeries informed me of that change....not in an update or an alert or an email or any of the webinars I took on product features....  That's awful and will not only cast thousands of dollars to state of Oregon but I will lose some of those clients.  Worst on any return on extension doesn't matter when it was filed box not checked.  Its beginning to look more like an opportunity to reconsider a new vendor because I can not talk to anyone with any useful comprehension of the situation.

This late in the season and with so many different issues this a filing season, (unemployment, increases to many credits, disaster areas throughout country, and NOW THIS.... I am not only person in my region and when asked others are scratching their heads saying oh no that's gonna be ugly..

I need to be ready for any legal proceeding this could lead to because I refuse to think I am liable for such a change not being pointed out or informed of....

ANrGY in Oregon looking like deadline aint gonna be celebration or victory laps but instead letters and correspondence and penalty paying... In total between the preparers in my office and 1 other remotely practicing its near 23k in penalties for returns filed 5-17 until now all of which had a filed and accepted 4868. Shoot me now or I m hiding under my desk for eternity.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, as preparers we are left holding the bag.  In this case, the box wasn't checked, and we are ultimately responsible for the final review of the return so Intuit can politely tell its users, tough nuggies.  It sucks, but for the last year and a half, this job has sucked so it is just more salt poured into that open wound.  I feel for you folks, but whether it is Intuit, Drake, UltraTax or any other software out there we are just cattle to them.  If we don't like it, they don't care if we walk, they will just find more cattle to graze in their pasture.  

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
dkh
Level 15

@lburdickandassociates  I share your anger.  Same thing for Indiana state returns BUT it wasn't that way until after April 15th - if my backtracking through returns is correct.

I brought this up several weeks ago.  No one from Intuit responded of course.  Federal extension status NOT automatically flowing... - Intuit Accountants Community

honestly It is proving to be extremely frustrating, now I have to make a decision on whether or not to hire an attorney to really break down this issue.... At end of day If indeed for this year and moving forward it will now require manually selecting-I will accept that.  But I am gonna need ProSeries to show me where they informed me of such a change.  Not in the alerts, the countless webinars I took on product features, and no emails.  SO if all this time it was NOT manual selection---How unprofessional and unethical of them to change a key function in their program and to do so without letting people know that.  My small practice is definitely being forced to pay out fees or lose clients, or worse to just let it go?  NOPE not this season.... I am ready to go at it for the long game with ProSeries and wish they would call back or talk to me about this issue.... Thanks and I hope you caught things before they turned hostile on your end....  What a mess after a very challenging season....Having mixed emotions about purchasing the software in couple weeks without speaking to some one tell you what....Take care and GOOD luck!!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Stupid question since I am good at asking those kind - do the states really just take your word that an extension was filed, or do they not blindly take your word and actually verify if a federal extension was filed?

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Problem is -  within the state program the check box that the federal extension was filed is NOT checked.  For all the years I can remember,   if the F4868 was selected the program automatically checked the box in the state return.   If this causes a penalty, the state sure isn't going to go looking for a federal extension out of the kindness of their heart.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, but they aren’t going to apply the death penalty either.  Maybe they check the federal for an extension or maybe they just send a notice.  In either case, the worst you probably have is bunch of letters to write instead of having to pay penalties.  Not fun, but it’s better than getting out the checkbook to pay client penalties.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Agreed.  I have some silly clients that will pay an IRS or IDR notice without discussing with me first.  They bring the notice in with next years tax return paperwork.... with an "oh by the way, I got this in the mail and paid it"        I feel clients lose confidence in me when notices arrive.  

dkh
Level 15

Isn't the point @lburdickandassociates is trying to make is Intuit makes changes in the program that should be shared with their faithful users.  Why shouldn't we receive a list of fixes with each update?  We paid for them.   My guess is Intuit doesn't even know they made this change.  And there is no way we have time during tax season to go scrolling thru every worksheet to see if the items we are used to being automatic based on other forms are still automatic.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Lburdick mentioned 23k in penalties - I was just trying to talk people down from the ledge.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Oh yeah.....I'll go get the air mattress in case your talk doesn't make he come back in.

Oregon must be NASTY 

yeah i just spoke to a "Supervisor" at intuit. She tried to imply that they have no obligation to inform users of such a change since in most cases these changes occur based on guidance from IRS or State Revenue Department.  I must ask after thousands of dollars spent on this software, is there no ethical or professional consideration given to those who buy in to use this product?  Even if an update occured and changed the way the software flows from the federal info wkts over to other places, we deserve to know that. 

how about for all the ways the software catches minor differences and gives an error message----at least they could have done that.  Made it where when federal 4868 is marked when you go to state an error message comes up and says hey the fed one is checked you need to check it here.

They do that for the Direct deposit idea, if marked or added onto fed wkst you get an error message on state and if you are not paying attention you could try and efile one like that and it will reject until you open the state and click the box.  That way they have informed everyone using product without actually informing us. 

In either case I am having an emotional disconnect nearing up to time I am expected to spend thousands of dollars on a product that has no love for the faithful users.  And in my state yes they are NASTY. Even after submitting 9325 and 4868 on behalf of taxpayer-our state doesn't care.  We are now attempting on a couple to ask for FTW abatements in hopes there is a way to avoid the massive penalties I do not believe my staff or myself is responsible for.  Not to mention the loss of confidence from my clients or the risk of actually losing them as clients.... 

At end of day INTUIT should care about their customers more, but don't.  I even asked if they could write a letter to Oregon Department of Revenue to inform them a change like this occurred and users were not informed of that change. She instructed that I need to check my returns before filing them--funny that box specifically in all other years could not be checked since it was auto populated.  I mentioned to her some ideas she could run up the ladder with and politely ended the call.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, as preparers we are left holding the bag.  In this case, the box wasn't checked, and we are ultimately responsible for the final review of the return so Intuit can politely tell its users, tough nuggies.  It sucks, but for the last year and a half, this job has sucked so it is just more salt poured into that open wound.  I feel for you folks, but whether it is Intuit, Drake, UltraTax or any other software out there we are just cattle to them.  If we don't like it, they don't care if we walk, they will just find more cattle to graze in their pasture.  

Slava Ukraini!

As sad as that sounds when I have to apply such detachment to the situation, you are absolutely correct.

There is no distinct connection or customer appreciation to make things right or offer a "meet you in the middle" type of solution from INTUIT or any other corporate software provider.  We are worse than cattle, we are just a customer number and once provided and they can determine our level of financial commitment -and that will in turn determine how we are treated or assisted, or not.

I reached out to the Extension Clerk in my State of Revenue Department, was very honest and upfront about the issue, the fact that this method of input had recently changed, and that I knew I was responsible for any that made it through without the box being checked. I mentioned I reached out to INTUIT and asked if they could right a letter stating the same that this was a function within their software that had changed- and that they did not inform the users of such a change.

At least I tried and did whatever I could to access the issue, determine the overall impact- the transferring of that change to the users- and apply all means to assist my clients to not be hit hard with this hiccup.  ONLY TIME WILL TELL what the extension clerk does with the info or how they respond will be interesting.

My beliefs are and efforts I'd say are Bold-and such ambition is sometimes overwhelming, but its a new whole new world it seems like, and this is my portion of the adaptation plan.....