Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excess Premium Tax Credit and American Rescue Act

ptrost
Level 2

Am I understanding this correctly, with the passing of the American Rescue Act, for 2020 only, repayment of any excess PTC does not increase the taxpayer's tax liability, the repayment has been suspended. Is this correct and am I just waiting for Pro Series Professional to update Form 8962 to reflect the new tax law. According to the IRS website, any returns filed need to be amended. Any input would be greatly appreciated. tks

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Were all waiting on guidance from IRS.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ptrost
Level 2

Okay, thank you.

FTAX
Level 5

I've heard the rumors, can't get a straight answer anywhere. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Rumors of what?

You can check the law.

IRS has not updated the form and their efile specs, ergo Intuit can't update the software yet.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

"... According to the IRS website, any returns filed need to be amended"

That's incorrect per:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/premium-tax-credit-claiming-the-cre...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Evidently you don't mean this IRS website which tells you not to file an amended return only to get a refund of the PTC paid on form 8962?

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/questions-and-answers-on-the-premiu...

abctax55
Level 15

@FTAX 

"Rumors" are not exactly the best way to function as a tax professional.  irs.gov offers FREE alerts that can keep you on top of new tax laws/changes.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

@taxiowa 

Jinx 🤣

( Generic Comment )"
FTAX
Level 5

You're being an **bleep**.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

And you are being unprofessional by referring to rumors. 

( Generic Comment )"
ptrost
Level 2

I just ran the update for ProSeries Professional this morning and it appears the update has addressed the PTC not being per the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. What I have noticed though is the 8962 form is not being populated which I believe the IRS requires when you have the PTC. I did a print preview to see if maybe it would just appear for filing, and it does not. Does anyone have any input? tks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive been including it in my printouts just for my own information, but this is how IRS has said it should be done....I guess the computers wont be holding refunds of those that forgot to include the 1095A? Seems weird to me as well.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Cindy F
Level 2

The software fix has been done. Repayments no longer flow to the 1040.

Finally!!!