Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many state tax returns

PMH1403
Level 1

My client has to file 32 state tax returns.  Last year, ProSeries couldn't handle this.  The software blew up and I had to print and mail paper tax returns.  How can I avoid the same problem this year?  Once Federal is final, can I save a duplicate copy of the file and prepare half of the state returns in the second file?  I would have to manually enter the credit for nonresident state taxes on the resident state tax return.  But, would ProSeries allow the second file with the same SSN, name, address?  If no, do you have any other suggestions for avoiding last year's nightmare?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matt105
Level 4

Yes that option will work.  However you can only have on file marked for efile at a time, so you would file the federal and whatever states you attached to the first return.  After they are all accepted you would unmark them for efile to remove them from the EF center homebase view, and then mark the second set for efile.

I would recommend doing them in smaller batches than 16 states though, maybe 8 states per file.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Matt105
Level 4

Yes that option will work.  However you can only have on file marked for efile at a time, so you would file the federal and whatever states you attached to the first return.  After they are all accepted you would unmark them for efile to remove them from the EF center homebase view, and then mark the second set for efile.

I would recommend doing them in smaller batches than 16 states though, maybe 8 states per file.

0 Cheers
PMH1403
Level 1

Excellent, thank you!  I will try it with batches of 8 states, as you suggest.

0 Cheers