Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the home equity loan deduction, would installing a speaker system throughout a home be a substantial improvement? Thoughts?

me-carney
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

That sounds kinda like saying the installation of an 8 track player was a substantial improvement in a 1975 Vega.  On second thought, that's a bad analogy - the 8 track player was a big improvement in the Vega.  But I'm still going to go with "no" on the speaker system.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

That sounds kinda like saying the installation of an 8 track player was a substantial improvement in a 1975 Vega.  On second thought, that's a bad analogy - the 8 track player was a big improvement in the Vega.  But I'm still going to go with "no" on the speaker system.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Even if its wired into the house with speakers installed in the walls, ceilings?  (I saw them do this with a fancy house on one of those home remodeling shows!)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I don't know how fancy the house is that we are talking about or whether the speakers are on shelves or in the wall, but I still would vote no.  The speakers might be an "improvement" but they don't sound like they have risen to that "substantial" level to me.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
If it would add to the Basis of the property it would be a "Substantial Improvement".  Or another way to look at it, if it was a rental property, would it be depreciated over 27.5 years?
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p936#en_US_2018_publink1000230004

Based on that, I would lean towards that a built-in system may qualify.  I would view it as comparable to light fixtures or a security system, which are §1250 property
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I have a client who installs high end Dolby "systems" in multi-million dollar homes.  Meaning very "substantial" in total dollars; maybe not as a percentage of FMV of home.  
I can't say I've run across using a HELOC to pay for it & deducting the interest; but the whole idea feels wrong (which is a great technical position to take when preparing a return :smiling_imp:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers