Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethics

holodeck
Level 3

Would it be an ethics violation to furnish the number of 2019 1099s and name of issuer (not amounts) to a deceased taxpayer's son to aid in preparation of his father's 2020 tax return?  Two children.  This one does not have POA.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

A POA dies when the grantor dies.

Who is the Personal Representative/Executor of the Estate? You may release decedent's info to that person without consequence.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

A POA dies when the grantor dies.

Who is the Personal Representative/Executor of the Estate? You may release decedent's info to that person without consequence.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

Yes, according to an Ethics seminar I attended.  I can't tell you the specific place to find in Circ230.               Was told it was a violation to use information provided by one client to prepare a 1099 for another client.  Meaning ABC company needs to issue 1099 to John Doe.   Company XYZ also needs to issued 1099 to John Doe but doesnt have his info.  I can't use info ABC gave me to complete XYZs 1099.   Crazy!!!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You mean like a list of 1099Rs and 1099INT/DIV/B s for the kids to start looking for what will be needed?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

2019 forms are used to file a 2019 tax return.

For 2020, someone would be getting the mail.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.