Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated taxes and efiling

bpierce
Level 3

Does a late payment of estimated taxes prevent efiling? The taxpayer paid 6/15/19 estimated tax in Sept.  It  does generate an error but the return was rejected for efiling. Will returns reject efile for late payment - seems like that is something that happens all of the time.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should be able to type in any date you'd like for estimated payments being made on the tax payments worksheet, so Im not understanding what the issue might be.  None of these create an Efiling problem.

esoddpayments.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Whats the rejection explanation/code?

0 Cheers
bpierce
Level 3

how do I find the code?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Highlight the file in the EFCenter and then hit F12, it will open a window where you can choose Rejected Returns, then print the entire explanation.

bpierce
Level 3

Doesn't give code..just says return failed final review. So I guess it didn't actually reject.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Then open the return and click the Review button on the top toolbar and see why it failed.

bpierce
Level 3

Sorry...this conversation doesn't want to seem to stay in a consecutive thread. I ran the review earlier and it showed the error as being the estimated payment being made after  6/15/19.  One would think estimated payments get made late all of the time and this would not prevent efiling.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It shouldnt...youre sure you have the date entered in the tax payments worksheet as 2019 and not 2020 or 2018 in error?

0 Cheers
bpierce
Level 3

Yes - indicates 2019.

Thanks for your help. You've spent enough time on this. We'll just paper file. You've answered my questions before and have always been very helpful. I did learn about the F12 so that was something new.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should be able to type in any date you'd like for estimated payments being made on the tax payments worksheet, so Im not understanding what the issue might be.  None of these create an Efiling problem.

esoddpayments.png

bpierce
Level 3

figured out the efiling issue with the late estimated payment. 2018 tax due was $799. Didn't have to make estimated payments (under $1000?). 1st quarter 2019 paid $720. I guess the system may have known that if payments weren't required based on 2018 tax due, how could they be late? I just changed  the payment to 6/15/19. Error went away.

Thanks again for your help!!  

Bill