Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estate and Sch E/Sch K

sonadora-j
Level 3

So my clients father passed away leaving him as the beneficiary of his entire estate with multiple rental properties and a partnership. The estate is in probate still, but my client has been receiving the rental income since the month after his death. I don't have much experience with estates and we do know the administrator of the estate will handle the filing of fathers return. But we are both at a loss on how the rental income will be reported properties are still legally tied up in the estate and of course someone could contest his will but its highly doubtfully since this man was well prepared. So would my client just start reporting the income on Sch E or does the person who does the fathers return need to give him a 1099-misc for the rental income? Also should he legally be getting the sch k from the partnership even if he didn't get any of the income in 2020 since it was given to the father before his passing?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
TaxReturnPros
Level 3

You need to get with your client and contact the estate administrator and their tax preparer to work all of the reporting out. Sounds like your client may be getting ahead of the estate by collecting the rent income without owning the properties. Be careful.

0 Cheers