Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSignature for partnership's Form 8879-PE

pc321
Level 3

The very first sentence in the ProSeries' tutorial for Using eSignatures with Business Returns is: "Be aware of IRS guidelines for collecting signatures for business forms." When I click on the hyperlink, it takes me to a IRS Office of Chief Counsel Memorandum which states that the IRS has only authorized the use of "alternative signature methods on the Form 8879 for Individual tax returns and not other members of the Form 8879 family relating to business returns." It further references the need for "manual signatures" on business tax returns. If this is the case, why is ProSeries saying that eSignature is available for business tax returns?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Good question. I have wondered that myself. Maybe the pandemic rules for esignatures that IRS put out would allow this during the COVID emergency only. Maybe not. I haven't looked in a while since I don't use esignature. I have business clients hand sign.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@sjrcpa @pc321 👍 always a good idea to have them hand sign and hand date before you e-file the return... That way there can never be a question... just my opinion

0 Cheers