Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Nontaxable unemployment portion

Winnie5911
Level 3

Hello,

I have entered the negative amount on line 8 of Schedule 1 for the nontaxable amount of unemployment.  I get an error message as I entered an override.  What am I doing wrong?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hawk26
Level 3

Go to form "Other Income Statement - Schedule 1, Line 8"... scroll down to line 24, Other Taxable Income, and enter "UCE" (Unemployment Compensation Exclusion) in the description field.  Next, enter the amount of the excludable portion of the UC as a negative amount (e.g. -$2,000).

Go to Schedule 1 to review your input and you should have an offsetting credit against the taxable UC.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

Here is the latest from Intuit

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1099-g/help/common-questions-on-the-unemployment-compen... 

However, you should be able to make an entry on LIne 8 without an override.  Same as any other item you would enter on that line. 

athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi, you should be able to enter the exemption without causing an error. Make sure you enter it correctly, making sure if there are two taxpayer and only one got the unemployment, enter the exemption in the correct column. Also be aware of the income limitation and the maybe if the unemployment is less than 10200, do not enter 10,200 , enter the amount of the unemployment because it will create a deduction bigger. Remember this line is not only for unemployment. Just be careful. Thank you. 

0 Cheers
Hawk26
Level 3

Go to form "Other Income Statement - Schedule 1, Line 8"... scroll down to line 24, Other Taxable Income, and enter "UCE" (Unemployment Compensation Exclusion) in the description field.  Next, enter the amount of the excludable portion of the UC as a negative amount (e.g. -$2,000).

Go to Schedule 1 to review your input and you should have an offsetting credit against the taxable UC.

Winnie5911
Level 3

Thank you so much.  I'm new to the software.  This worked perfect.

0 Cheers
Winnie5911
Level 3

Thank you for your help.

0 Cheers