Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic filing of a Federal amended return.

Level 1

I have a client file in homebase, which I used in 2020 and 2021 to E-file his federal returns. I also have a backup of these identical files. Both the 2020 and the 2021 homebase files have become corrupted and unusable. I have deleted these files from my homebase and have placed the backup files into homebase. The backup files are identical to the original files that were utilized to E-file both 2020 and 2021 returns. The problem and question to the community is this:

I now need to amend both the 2020 and 2021 originally filed tax returns. I have completed the tax calculation and have established a correct tax form 1040 X in both the 2020 calendar year and the 2021 calendar year.

I went to E-file the 2020 and 2021 amended tax files and I get an error message. The message states that the amended returns cannot be E-filed because the original return was not E-filed. Is there a way to mark the new backup files that were not E-filed in a manner that makes the system think the files were originally E-filed. This would allow me to E-file the amended returns.

My direct email address is

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Once EF opens back up (should be close to the end of January), highlight those original files and then use Update Acks of Selected Returns, not the regular Received Acks.....see if that pulls the Acks in for them and makes the program know that they have been EF.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Level 1

Thank you Just-Lisa-Now

Of course, I will not be able to test your answer until electronic filing opens in late January. I did find on the information sheet of this particular client, and on all clients a spot that asks if the original return was successfully e-filed.

This is in the area "Federal Amended Returns" It is a two-check box question.

The first question is: File Federal Amended Return Electronically. This is marked Yes. If you run review at this point, you will receive an error message. The message is: Cannot electronically file the amended return because the original return was not e-file.

The second question is: Check this box if the original return was successfully electronically filed. When this box is checked the error message on the final review goes away.

I have not tried to e-file the amended return yet. I am waiting on a small amount of additional information to complete the amended return. Do you feel that the checking of that box will allow the filing of the amended return from my back-up file?

Thank You

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If YOU Efiled the return using PS and you received the acknowledgement, those boxes should be automatically marked for you, but you have to check them yourself if it was done by another preparer...so "theoretically" it should work the same even if your system doesn't show record of the original being EFiled by you and you mark those boxes as if some other preparer EFiled the originals.

0 Cheers
sewcpa
Level 5

Why filing of amended return from the back-up file?

The back-up file should only be for you to have a record of what has already happened and you do the amending to the original file and efile the now corrected original file.   (My back-up file is the paper one in my metal file cabinet.)    

By sending the amended from the original it has the other info imbedded in the transmission that should make it accepted.

Good luck in several weeks when IRS decides to reopen.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think this is what trips people up with EF an amended return.  Dont use a copy for the amendment. use the original file!   

I still dont understand why people want to keep a computer copy of the old original file that is wrong, print or save a PDF of the wrong original for if you ever need to refer back to it.  The correct amended return is the one you want to keep in Homebase to transfer to the next year.

0 Cheers