Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EITC from "Undocumented Sources" - Unable to E-File?

caley
Level 2

Client has a net loss of $6k on his Schedule C, but we are electing to still pay SE taxes under the "Nonfarm Optional Method"... which triggers the EITC to populate.

There is an e-file error stating that the return is ineligible to e-file due to "all earned income for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is calculating from undocumented sources" ... what?! Not sure what that even means...? Is there a way around this error so I CAN e-file? Mail is so backed up.... Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I would guess that if you disable error-checking when you e-file, it will go through fine.

BobKamman
Level 15

The 2019 earned income is too high to qualify on the lookback rule?

caley
Level 2

I will try that, but I think it will still not allow e-file....error also says "these rules are set forth by the IRS Electronic Tax Administration"

0 Cheers
Lukepccpa
Level 3

Does your taxpayer not have dependents?  That seems to be what triggers the error.  A taxpayer who qualifies for the EITC with only self employment income and no kids.  I've run into it many times over the years, so it's not a software error in my opinion.  They're screening for fraudulent EITC claims by requiring manual filing versus the return zipping through the e-file system.