Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EIP Debit Card replacement

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

If the taxpayer was issued a debit card for the EIP 1 or 2, but did not receive it, and you used the RRC on the 2020 return to get it, the IRS is disallowing the credit, sending a correction notice, and issuing the refund without the RRC.

IRS told me today, the taxpayer must call Metabank @ 800-240-8100 (Customer Service) to report the card lost or stolen. The old card will be deactivated and a new one issued and sent to the taxpayer.

eipcard.com is the web address for more information and options. 

Maybe I missed it entirely, but I do not recall this info being available on the IRS stimulus portal, before they took it down to process the 3rd EIP. It would have saved me a lot of time and phone calls.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Thanks for the info.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
TAXOH
Level 11

Thanks for the information. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
they sent letters out to people giving this information when the card had not been activated in a certain period of time, I had several clients come in with these letters, they called the number and got a new card..

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

"the IRS is disallowing the credit, sending a correction notice, and issuing the refund without the RRC."

Yes, all of this was in the announcements, the website, the email notifications, etc, for getting a replacement card, because so many people tossed them as marketing. You cannot substitute a tax credit for the card. You get a replacement card.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

A2. If your EIP card is lost or destroyed, you may request a free replacement through MetaBank® Customer Service. To request a replacement call 800-240-8100 (select your language and then select option 2 from main menu) and enter the last six digits of the Social Security number of the person who is listed first on your tax return.

The Economic Impact Payment Card is sponsored by the Treasury Department’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service, managed by Money Network Financial, LLC and issued by Treasury’s financial agent, MetaBank®, N.A. The EIP Card will be sent in a in a plain white envelope which prominently displays the U.S. Treasury seal and “Economic Impact Payment Card” in the return address. The envelope will also have the following notation:  “Not a bill or an advertisement. Important information about your Economic Impact Payment.”  The Visa name is on the front of the Card and the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank®, N.A. on the back of the card. If you have an Economic Impact Payment Card, visit EIPcard.com for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-e-e...

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

As I said, I must have missed the info on the website entirely, before they took it down or I'm looking in the wrong place. Put EIP debit card replacement in the search bar but got nothing.

My clients did not receive any notice or they threw it away or who knows what happened. Thanks for the additional info on this issue.

qbteachmt
Level 15
0 Cheers