Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFIN of non US citizen without SSN living abroad

Brayan Guillen
Level 1

Hello, 

I am in the process of setting up a tax preparer bussines and recently I obtained my PTIN number relatively easy but the problem has come when I try to apply for the EFIN.
I live in spain and I am planning to do all the work from here but I can't find a way on how to apply for the EFIN because of all the requirements( US address, SSN, US based bank, etc).

Could I file tax return without an EFIN with intuit proseries or is there any way I could get my EFIN in my current situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Brayan

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Sorry to say, but in my opinion it should be difficult if not impossible.

A non-citizen living and working abroad, would have an almost impossible task in studying and learning enough about US tax law and procedures to be in a position to provide competent and efficient tax preparation and filing services.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"almost impossible task in studying and learning enough about US tax law and procedures to be in a position to provide competent and efficient tax preparation and filing services"

You really need to read more posts that show up this forum.  Competent and efficient don't necessarily apply when it comes to folks using ProSeries to prepare tax returns 😉

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Well we can all hope.

Brayan Guillen
Level 1

Thank you for your reply,

I know it is an unusual situation to say the least, I am still weighing this as an opportunity but I want to be as ready as it gets, that´s why I´m also looking for tax preparation courses and getting all the information I may need if it goes as planned. I currently work as a Tax Prepaper in Spain, however the laws vary in the tax subject from country to country.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You need an EFIN to efile.

As far as I know only preparers in the US can get an EFIN.

I'm not sure if you have to be a US citizen or not.

Check IRS Publication 3112 IRS e-file Application & Participation

Ex-AllStar