Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efiling an extension after original return has been filed

Level 3

ISSUE: Spouse efiled her own return in Feb. using MFS, ($4,000 wages; $124 refund; long story-dont' ask!). Now she is agreeing to change to a joint return to save $7,000 for hubby.

NEXT STEP: So I would like it to be a superseding return filed before the deadline. And I'd like to transmit it electronically as an amended return as soon as IRS and ProSeries have that available. But I'll be surprised if efiling 1040-X's will be available by July 15.

QUESTIONS: In order to preserve the superseded return privilege until Oct. 15, can I efile for an extension? Or will her previous efiling of an original return prevent efiling for an extension?

If the answer is NO to the first and YES to the second, (i.e., you can't do that, efiling an extension won't work), then I have one more QUESTION: Will a snail-mailed paper extension be accepted?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
5 Replies 5
Level 12

Try sending the extension. If it is rejected you will have your answer to "can I efile an extension".   If you get a rejection, why wouldn't a snail-mailed paper extension be accepted?  As long as it is sent by July 15th it should be accepted.  Who knows when IRS will actually open it but the postmark is the important factor.

Level 15

 ($4,000 wages; $124 refund; long story-dont' ask!)

OK, I won't ask.  I assume you're 100% sure that the wife won't change her mind again.   You're the one who would have to explain to the husband that you were betting on technology improvements this summer.  

Level 8

When you try to file an extension on a return that has been e-filed, a rejection will come back stating a return has already been filed for that SS#.

You can file an extension for your client, the husband, which will give you some time.

Level 15

As for availability...this came into my email today:

"Issue Number: Tax Tip 2020-69

Taxpayers will soon be able to file amended tax returns electronically

Later this summer, for the first time taxpayers will be able to file their Form 1040-X, Amended U.S Individual Income Tax Return electronically.

Making this form electronically fileable has been a long-time goal for the IRS. It will greatly benefit the tax professional community and taxpayers.

The new electronic option will allow the IRS to receive amended returns faster while minimizing errors normally associated with manually completing the form. It will also provide the IRS with more complete and accurate data to help customer service representatives answer taxpayer questions.

When the electronic filing option becomes available, taxpayers will only be able to amend tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns electronically. In general, taxpayers will still have the option to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and submitting the paper form.

Whether an amended return is filed electronically or manually, taxpayers can still use the "Where's My Amended Return?" online tool to check the status of their amended return."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Level 3

Thanks, everyone! I think we'll just paper-file now and accept the wait as IRS eats their way through the trailer-loads of backlog, rather than wait on something that IRS and/or Intuit might or might not make happen in time anyway. I'll try efiling an extension anyway, and let you all know what happens.

0 Cheers