Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-filing of 2020 amended federal return

jrn
Level 1

I am trying to e-file a 2020 amended federal return but keep gettin an error message that the original return was not accepted by the  IRS.  Form 9325 indicates it was accepted on 2/26/21.

Thanks,

JN

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
abctax55
Level 15

Unless YOU efiled the original return USING PS, you can't efile the amended return.  Intuit's stupid rule....

If you did, report back and someone that uses PS will 'splain the how.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You MUST use the same original file that you Efiled originally for the amended return, its got embedded EF data in it, you cannot use a copy.

If you want to save a copy of the original (wrong) return, save a copy of it with a different name (be sure you uncheck the EF boxes on the fed and state on that copy or you'll end up with a message of duplicate SSN in the EFcenter) , keep the actual original file with the original file name to use as the amended return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
jrn
Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I filed the original return.  I followed the instructions as outlined by PS.  Tried everything possible, I do not understand why I'm still having trouble.

0 Cheers
jrn
Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I have followed the instructions explicitiy and do not understand why I'm still having trouble.  I will reach out to Intuit tomorrow and see if they can help.

0 Cheers
jrn
Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I have followed the instructions explicity and do not understand why I'm still having problems.  I will reach out to Intuit tomorrow and see if they can help.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not sure what the instructions say, but its the making a copy of the file that seems to trip people up.

I dont save any computer copy of the original, its wrong so I have no use for it anymore within the program...I keep a printed or PDF copy of it and thats it.

I just open the originally filed return and activate the 1040X by entering the year at teh top, then I check the EF 1040X on the fed info worksheet then make any changes...I havent had any issues Efiling an amended return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers