Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing Amended State Return

powellrh1
Level 2

Anyone have any experience E-filing an amended state return only?  In NC we have to amend a ton of 2020 state returns for the PPP loan forgiveness.  Note - the federal return does not need to be amended.  I cannot figure out how to populate a new NC e-file return for the amended.  I've marked the "file state amended return" box on Federal return.  A drop down window opens and North Carolina is a choice, so obviously I choose it.  Enter the changes on the amended NC return.  But how do I convert and create the new file to be amended?  When I currently choose "covert/transit"....the message is that the file has already been transmitted.  ANYONE else have any ideas?

5 Comments 5
JRC
Level 8

Save as : the Original tax file as (Client.Original).

Open up the File and File amended return.

You now have 2 Files on record:

Client.Original

Client.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

While I admit I have no experience with NC returns. I am having trouble figuring out what you are having to amend.

All of the clients I have seen didn't get any of the forgiveness actually processed until 2021.

Is NC taxing the Forgiven PPP loans? Even so wouldn't that be in 2021 not 2020?

sjrcpa
Level 15

I have a NC client that had a large PPP loan forgiven in 2020. 

At the extended due date, NC  was not allowing the expenses paid with the PPP loan to be deducted. Hence the need for an amended return.

Ex-AllStar
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Got it.

That makes sense. I was just trying to understand. I'm no help on how to make proseries do it.

powellrh1
Level 2

This does not work.  When I "save as" original tax file, I do have two files.  However, BOTH still retain the "EF ACCEPTED" status.  Proseries will not let me "convert and transmit" an amended NC return as I receive the message the return has already been converted and transmitted.   Do you have any other suggestions?  I will call Proseries soon, but assumed they were extremely busy with 2021 filing season opening this week.

0 Cheers