Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-filing 7004 with no balance due

Wolcott CPA
Level 2

I'm getting an error in Proseries when I try to e-file an 1120 extension using form 7004.  Proseries is saying that the form can't be e-filed with zero balance due, it must be printed and mailed in instead.  I checked the IRS website and it does NOT say that at all.  It says that you CAN e-file the 7004, nothing about there needing to be a balance due.  Please look into and fix this error ASAP, since I need this fixed for the 9/15 deadline.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

Are you trying to file an extension for a return that was due on March 15th?   It's too late.

Wolcott CPA
Level 2

No.  This is a fiscal year 1120, extension due by 9/15

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

looks like this is a problem Intuit is working on 

Can i efile form 7004 with no tax due - Intuit Accountants Community

Wolcott CPA
Level 2

This is definitely a Proseries error.  I was able to e-file the extensions using Drake with no problem.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Glad you were able to find a solution.   I've never used multiple tax programs.  Based on your experience and other posts over the years, it might not be a bad idea.   

Happy day.

0 Cheers
Wolcott CPA
Level 2

Ordinarily we would've only had Proseries, but we're switching to Drake next year, so we have Drake installed to practice on.  Thank goodness!  I wouldn't have wanted to mail in paper 7004's