Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E File with NY State Return

Tentman
Level 3

Dear Anyone That Can Help,

I have a Pennsylvania resident that owns a rental property in New York.  I am filing a NY non resident return, but, keep getting an error message regarding NY state return.  When I go to the error message it brings me to the box that's checked to file the state return electronically in the NY Info Worksheet.  I don't know what I am doing wrong, or what box I have not checked.  I appreciate any guidance that anyone can provide.  

Thanks

The Tent Man

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
PATAX
Level 15

I am not at my computer now but I think in the federal worksheet you have to indicate that you are going to electronically file both the Pennsylvania and New York returns... Also make sure you check the correct boxes on each of the state return modules... just my opinion

0 Cheers
Tentman
Level 3

Hi and thanks for your response.  In the federal info worksheet, I did select both state returns.  I am getting the error in the NY state

PATAX
Level 15

@Tentman my experience is when doing a Pennsylvania state tax return and another state tax return, it is not always easy to get the income to apportion correctly between the two states, etc.... if you cannot get the e-file errors to correct, then you may have to ask the client if he wants to mail the two returns in .... Just my opinion...

0 Cheers
ljr
Level 8

Sometimes the error has to do with the depreciation - double check on the asset entry worksheet you have both NY and PA selected. Hard to tell when the error is not giving you a description but this could eliminate one more problem area.

0 Cheers