Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-file weirdness

Highlighted
Level 8
last updated ‎February 06, 2020 9:17 AM

my heading does not do my problem justice.  So I have a long time client (got married in 2019--live in Tennessee 2019), but needed to file an Alabama Part-Year return for spouse who lived in Alabama prior to marriage.  Fill out everything...and do the "E-file Now".

Here's where the weirdness comes in.  Program files an alabama return--actually has already been accepted this morning.  But where it normally shows the Federal and State as being pending (before acceptance)..if shows a Bama return with a submission ID... and ANOTHER Alabama return.. with A BLANK in the client name.  And no federal return at all. The second line in the pending tab.....has a blank space in the "client Name".. also has the {duplicate SSN notice), .and when you click on it...it brings up the 19Data folder...but no file name--just opens the folder.  

It gets even goofier..when I hit e-file now in the open return...it says correctly Alabama completed...but has 'Ready' for the Federal.  When I try to efile the Federal...it gives me the duplicate SSN red alert, even though the Federal Return has not been filed and there is only one file...except the dreaded blank line Bama 2nd thingy. And there is NO electronic filing history report at the federal return level.

@IntuitAustin  or you regular gurus.... have you ever seen this? is there a recommendation or possible solution?

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posed.
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
11 Replies 11
Highlighted
Level 15

"is there a recommendation or possible solution?"

Have you thought about hiring an exorcist --------------- it sounds like evil spirits have possessed your computer.  Looks like it was safer for you when you had the update issues and were dead  in the water - at least that way funky things like this couldn't happen.  👻

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dd4vols I'm checking with the support team on this one. I will update this thread with more information shortly. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
Highlighted
Level 8

@IntuitAustinanything on this?  i can't do anything with my client's federal return....

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posed.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 8

Friday

@IntuitAustin  anything on this? i can't do anything with my client's federal return...

above is from my previous last post in this thread....last Friday.  

OK... so I called support on Saturday, waited the obligatory hour and 5 minutes....talked to Brooklyn... super nice and knowledgeable...she logged on to my computer...and we did some magic at my login....and it did some DIFFERENT kind of homebase tuneup.  Thought was fixed.

Today I do another client living in Tennessee and filing an Alabama State return also.  SAME thing happens.  Have a blank line in EF Pending column for that ssn.  which has the duplicate red alert.  I was suspicious to do the return.. so i filed the Federal first w/o the Alabama...it accepted the Federal.. gave it a submission ID and everything..but the STATUS for the Federal Return is "return transferred for  EF".  I do about 30 alabama returns a year, as I live close to the state line.  There has to be a bug in the software. I really don't need to call support every Saturday to clean up my alabama  filings.

so I'm back asking all you peeps with more connections to Intuit Austin than i do evidently...to ask him to review this post...

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

@IntuitAustin 

dd has been very patient but has kinda been left hanging.  If you are too busy fighting fires on your side of things maybe it's time to call out a few of those backup firemen that you had standing by.  I believe @Maxine is also still patiently waiting on her 6252 inquiry.

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @dd4vols, I’ll follow up on this post tomorrow morning. I’m sorry to hear you’re still having issues. 

Highlighted
Level 8

so here is the update on this second client situation

I have a blank name in the Pending Tab of the EF Center..with the duplicate SSN red alert. (just like first time).

I also have my client's name on two lines (Fed and State-alabama), like it should be in this case.
the State line says 'return sent to State' in status... which is probably correct. The Federal line says "return transferred for EF", although when I click on update status on that line, it shows Federal return accepted by taxing authority. Still on the pending page...because of the status I guess. Never gets to the Accepted tab.

AND.. that stupid blank line with duplicate SSN error...I think Brooklyn called it a 'ghost record' or something.

And I have filed Mississippi returns this year...with no problems...seems to be isolated to the alabama returns.

Highlighted
Level 8

@IntuitAustin  Happening in Indiana  returns too...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/re-is-anyone-else-having-is...

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you use any sort of automatic back up software/anti virus frequently checking your ProSeries software and data? The duplicate SSN error is might be caused by "ghost".JN1 files. The SSN error means there is another client file with the same SSN marked for e-file. The ghost files are likely called untitled.JN1 or something similar. You could look for these in your data folder. 

Highlighted
Level 8

@IntuitAustin  NO NO NO  … the duplicate SSN IS the same client SSN.........NOT another client.  Please re-read my posts.  The duplicate SSN is a by product of this malfunction... not a problem of another client.  

And why would it only happen when I do Alabama returns..not Mississippi...which I have done several.

I had high hopes you would be able to give me some relief..that is fading..

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

I spoke with the support team about this again after your last update and they advised it is difficult to fully diagnose and solve the issue with the information given here. It would be more beneficial for you to call technical support as there is a degree of troubleshooting they will walk you through that would be difficult to articulate here, given the nature of this forum. I understand you already reached out to them about this issue once, but the support team feels they could best assist you with another interaction. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/how-to-contact-proseries-for-help/00/4714

0 Cheers