Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-File for deceased tax payer

RichardS77
Level 4

I'm trying to file a final return for a deceased taxpayer. The signer is the authorized representative and the system won't allow an e-file in this case and requires a paper filing.  The IRS is backed up due to COVID 19 which will cause major delay in receiving the refund.   Is there a work around to allow this file to be filed electronically.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

@RichardS77 The IRS is backed up due to COVID 19 which will cause major delay in receiving the refund.

For the Chicken Little crowd, here is some recent information on the IRS backlog from a July 11 newspaper report:

"As of May 16, the agency had an estimated backlog of 4.7 million paper returns.  Working through the paper returns is a “high priority” for the I.R.S., its commissioner, Charles P. Rettig, recently told the Senate Finance Committee. The agency is reducing the backlog by about one million a week."

So maybe there are three or four more weeks left to resolve the backlog.   Is that a "major delay" ?  Or is waiting until July 14 to finish the return, a bigger cause for concern?

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Seems like when its a court ordered representative, it doesn't allow Efiling...I dont know why this makes a difference.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

No

Ex-AllStar
Camp1040
Level 10

You also have to submit the court form with the paper return approving the appointment of the representative.

BobKamman
Level 15

@RichardS77 The IRS is backed up due to COVID 19 which will cause major delay in receiving the refund.

For the Chicken Little crowd, here is some recent information on the IRS backlog from a July 11 newspaper report:

"As of May 16, the agency had an estimated backlog of 4.7 million paper returns.  Working through the paper returns is a “high priority” for the I.R.S., its commissioner, Charles P. Rettig, recently told the Senate Finance Committee. The agency is reducing the backlog by about one million a week."

So maybe there are three or four more weeks left to resolve the backlog.   Is that a "major delay" ?  Or is waiting until July 14 to finish the return, a bigger cause for concern?