Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-file amended return 1040x

Summer2021
Level 4

What do you do with that newly created new file? 

On how to complete Form 1040X, step 3 is to save the original return in a different or a new file name. Then continue to work on the originally filed return. When all is done and 1040X is created in the original filed return, then proceed with e-file. 

What do you do with that newly created new file?  Can we work on and e-file 1040X from this newly created file instead of the originally filed return?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

How to complete Form 1040X

1. Open the client’s original return.
  2. From the File menu, select Save as.
  3. Save the return using a different name. For example, SmithCopy20.20I
  4. Go to Homebase. 
  5. Open the originally filed return (not the copy you just created). Use the File name column to tell them apart.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I don't save the original file at all (I do print a copy of the original to PDF, so I have a copy as original filed)

That way I don't get error about duplicate SS. I want to see in home base the correct return for the year, not a lot of duplicates 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I do the same as Terry.  I have no use for a computer file of the original return that's wrong.

But to answer your question, that Save As file, name it  JonesTomOriginal.20i (or something similar) and then uncheck the EF boxes on the fed info worksheet, bounce over to the state return as well before saving and exiting, that removes it from the EFCenter. 

Now open up the file with the original file name (JonesTom.20i) and activate the 1040x (and state amended) and then make the changes.

That way when you transfer the files over next year, you'll still be using the JonesTom.21i file for the clients return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Summer2021
Level 4

Hello Lisa,

Do you see it a problem if I do it the other way round, by:

1. prepare the amended return in the newly created file, 

2. uncheck "e-file" on the originally filed return, then

3. e-file the federal amended return using the newly created file?

Thank you!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
As far as I know, if you completed the original with ProSeries you need to use the original file that was accepted for your amended return filing.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪