Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate SSN on an Amended return

Tax Lady 92082
Level 2

I just completed the 1040X and CA amendment in ProSeriesand on my e-file tab it shows duplicated SSN. How do I correct this to be able to e-file?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sewcpa
Level 5

There is a way to delete from the main home base (not the E-file home base) by highlighting the copy that you want to get rid of and choosing to delete from the 1st drop down button. 

Or you could open the Copied file and change the social security number to something like 912-34-xxxx. then close that file and do a file name change in the main home base to SmithDuplxxxx so that it will be out of the way.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sewcpa
Level 5

Did you make a copy of the file and then do the amending in the copy?  If so the ORIGINAL file is the one that must be changed and transmitted to IRS (not the copy). You will need to delete the copy and do the changing to the original file.  then there should not be any duplicate

(For your records print a copy of the original as filed and put it in your file cabinet or a pdf somewhere else on your computer)

Good luck

Tax Lady 92082
Level 2

I am having problems deleting the duplicate copy. I tried to save it with the original name, but now I just have it duplicated in homebase. How do I delete it?

0 Cheers
sewcpa
Level 5

There is a way to delete from the main home base (not the E-file home base) by highlighting the copy that you want to get rid of and choosing to delete from the 1st drop down button. 

Or you could open the Copied file and change the social security number to something like 912-34-xxxx. then close that file and do a file name change in the main home base to SmithDuplxxxx so that it will be out of the way.

Tax Lady 92082
Level 2

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was trying to do the file maintenance from the e-file home base and it was grayed out. I now have just the one file and I did print both the fed and CA original returns.

Have a fantastic rest of your evening!

ljr
Level 8

I just did the a few minutes ago with an amended return. It told me I had a duplicate and did I want to proceed anyway. I said yes and it let it go through. In the past it would block it and you would have to delete or uncheck the other efiled return boxes but it should let you efile now. 

0 Cheers