Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate SSN - Efile transmission will not go through

scahill
Level 2

1040, new client. Fed return failed efile transmission.  Message says: "Duplicate SSN. A tax return with the same SSN has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file same return twice...."  There is no duplicate SSN error in the EF center.  There are no duplicate copies of the client.  Searched all 1040's to see if the SSN is duplicate, it is not.  Help please!!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone using an Intuit product (could have been Turbotax) filed a return using the SSN  OR your client used the IRS Non Filer Website to claim the stimulus, in either situation your only option is to file by paper.

If your client didnt use the Non filer website, you should look into filing a 14039 for possible identity theft.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
scahill
Level 2

But the return hasn't even made through the transmission process.  Wouldn't it still go through then I would get a reject from the IRS (not Intuit) that a return was already submitted similar to the dependent reject?

0 Cheers
CJR
Level 3

I experienced the same problem earlier this year - after many hours on hold Intuit told me they flag any returns that have already been transmitted through their software and do not even send to IRS to get rejected.  At first they had me thinking it was a software issue that was inadvertently trying to send an extension again...after clearing the e-file we realized that was not the case. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Intuit rejects SSN that have been processed through their system before it even makes it to IRS.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
scahill
Level 2

Ok thank you!

0 Cheers