Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloaded Professional and now when I try to double click a Basic file I get the message "this file does not have an app associated with it"

Highlighted
Level 1

When I have basic open I can open all of the files from homebase with no problem.  It's just when I try to open basic by double clicking on a file.  I'm trying to open I file I saved on a flash drive from another computer.

When I downloaded professional, if I double clicked basic file it was opened by professional.  I need to open the file from the flash drive in basic.  So I uninstalled professional but now I get this "this file does not have an app..." message.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Level 7

In Proseries Pro when you backup a file to a flash drive you will need to use the restore command to open the file that was backed up.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
Thanks for the answer but maybe my question will make more sense if I write out in steps:

1.   the file is a basic file that was created on computer 1  
2.  It was then saved onto a flash drive in order to transfer it to computer 2.  
3.  We only use basic but we had downloaded professional just to check out its features onto computer 2.
4.  When we plugged in the flash drive to computer 2 with the basic file from computer 1 and tried to open it from the flash drive by double clicking it, it would automatically open professional
5.  Also after installing professional, when we tried to open other files directly from the BasWin18 folder by double clicking them, they would open automatically in professional
6.  Tried to fix it by uninstalling professional but now windows asks with what app we would like to open the files with when we double click them
7.  We tried to change the file associations for the 18 files in the windows 10 settings by file type, but we get the message "this file does not have an app associated with it."
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Open the program you want to use and then open the file from within the program.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
I was thinking that too.  When I go to File > Open Client  It opens whatever client is selected in the list.  It doesn't give me the option to go to a different folder or drive.  I tried saving a copy of the file from the flash drive into C: BasWin18 > 18Data.  But it still doesn't show up in the list.  What am I missing?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
What am I missing?
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
In ProSeries Pro when you go to file, open client, you can go to any drive or folder on this pc. Don't know about basic
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
In Basic it doesn't give you that option as far as I can see.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
Which is why we usually just double click the file to open it if it wasn't input on that computer (on a flash drive for example).  I gotta figure out how to get those files to associate with Basic again but in the meantime I want to work on this file.  Another option would be to copy it into the BasWin18>18Data folder, but how, in Basic, do I then get it to show up in the list when the program is open?
0 Cheers