Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Pro Series Provide A Feature To Lock Returns?

GodFather
Level 8

Does Pro Series offer an option to lock a return.  As a new user, my previous program offered an option to select a "Complete" status button.  Once that button was clicked, the return would not be updated with any new program updates.  It essentially sealed the return.  I selected this feature as part of my efiling process.  This allowed me to view exactly what was efiled.  Does Pro Series offer a similar option?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

Yes -   under the Tools Menu     Tools>Lock/Unlock Client Files

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

Yes -   under the Tools Menu     Tools>Lock/Unlock Client Files

abctax55
Level 15

Courtesy of Chuck/Archie.... PS does have this feature.  May he RIP.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

ProSeries doesn't have a lock, it has the Chuck Warman Memorial Toggle Switch 😉

Slava Ukraini!
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Unfortunately, if there have been software updates that would change your locked return, those changes will immediately be made to the locked returns once you unlock them. Make sure you print a copy or save it to a PDF before you lock it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

To be honest, I locked one return the first year it was available ---------- just to give the feature a test drive.  I haven't used it since.  Chuck wanted it because he regularly bopped back and forth between years, something I don't tend to do.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive used it this year just because of all the late changes. I want to be sure Im paying full attention when I open a client's return that was filed prior to program updates for these changes.  

I dont want a client to call and ask me something about their return and me just open it willy nilly and give them incorrect information.

Theres no issue transferring from one year to the next with locked files, right?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪