Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a new roof on a rental property qualify for special depreciation?

joe7230
Level 1

If not can I then use Section 179?  I prefer the use special depreciation at 100%

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15

Read thru IRS Pub 527 Residential Rental Property   https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

IRonMaN
Level 15

I thought we were supposed to provide only yes or no answers.  Now we are assigning homework to folks visiting here?  This is like being in school again but there isn’t anybody sitting next to you, so a person can’t even cheat and look over someone’s shoulder for the answer. 😬

Slava Ukraini!
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

IRS Reg. § 1.263(a)-3h allows a small TP to expense a capital improvement if:

• $1 Million limit on unadjusted basis – note that unadjusted excludes land, land improvements, and personal property identified through a cost segregation study
  • Annual expenses for repairs, maintenance, and improvements, cannot exceed the lesser of $10,000 or 2% of the building’s unadjusted basis
  • Annual gross income for the landlord must be less than $10MM for the three preceding tax years.
dkh
Level 15

Nothing like a good read on a sunny summer afternoon.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But it's not good to be reading any printed material outside this summer.  The pages could burst into flames ---------- too hot 🔥

Slava Ukraini!