Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS Old Restored Database Most PDF files will not open properly

Wagscpa
Level 1

We have a somewhat unique problem.  Years ago we reorganized the structure of our DMS file folders and somehow in that process the data file was damaged in a way that left us without some prior data.  So we restored a backup from our backup service and had the current database which we have used going forward and works perfectly.  The restored database, restored a few years ago and used only as an archive to access old documents, was originally accessible by everyone in the firm.

We noticed over time that certain team members were unable to access the files as computers applied Windows 10 updates.  We were never able to figure out what was happening but we had one employee computer left that could access the database.  So I started the process of dragging the folders out of DMS and into a backup folder on that same employee's local hard drive.  We were halfway through that process and then, Uh Oh!  That employee's computer updated Windows 10 and now we cannot access the files from any machine.

I have tried various repair options within DMS and downloading the Lacerte Tool Hub and nothing I can do allows us to access the files anymore.  

I need a solution to this.  I can pay, within reason, for data recovery by Intuit if they have a process for that but I would like to get access to our decade plus of data.  I noticed that the Lacerte Tool Hub has a way to backup and upload a DMS database.

Our backups do not go back far enough for us to recover the database from our backups.  Unfortunately the problem didn't start within the year after we restored the backup.  We are getting by without having the documents but there is a treasure trove of information we would like to regain access to.

The problems seems to me to be more like a Windows security type of issue than a data corruption issue unless given that it was computer specific as the access started failing, and not file or folder specific within DMS.

0 Cheers