Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The spouse died and I need to show an adjusted basis on numerous rental properties. How do I do this and restart depreciation on the new basis?

ShelleyRod
Level 1

My tax clients live in California which is a community property state.  I can adjust the basis on all of their rental properties - how do I change the basis and start a new depreciation schedule based on the new basis? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Dispose of the old asset on dead of death using the adjusted basis as the gross proceeds.  Enter a new asset placed in service on date of death with the new basis.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Dispose of the old asset on dead of death using the adjusted basis as the gross proceeds.  Enter a new asset placed in service on date of death with the new basis.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Enter the date of death as the disposition date on the Asset Entry Worksheet.  Then leave the sale price BLANK.  That will stop the depreciation for the 'old' Basis.

Then add a new Asset Entry Worksheet, using the date of death as the "placed in service" date and the Fair Market Value on the date of death as the Basis.

For any future readers, that process is ONLY for clients that are in a Community Property State.  A non-Community Property State has a bit of a different process.

Colmar18
Level 1

Husband and wife bought rental property in Virginia (NOT a community property state) $39,500

Husband died in 2018 FMV $92,000

wife sold property in 2019 $115,000 sales price

where do i enter the basis step up in proseries?

0 Cheers

So what is the process to adjust basis on rental property with the death of a spouse in a "non-community property state?  You use the phrase "a bit of a different process" but I could not find any references to this process.

0 Cheers