Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

direct deposit

yankee
Level 1

I e-filed my client return and put the wrong direct  deposit information.  
Anyway it can be corrected/

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
TAXOH
Level 11

No.  Hope for a reject.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

and hope the bank bounces it back to IRS instead of depositing it in that wrong account number.

You may want your client to go to the bank and explain what happened, find out if that acct number you entered is valid or not, if its a non existent acct# it will bounce back, if it belongs to someone else...hopefully the bank is verifying the name on the direct deposit.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Call the IRS ASAP and hope to catch them before the direct deposit is processed.  The next best case scenario is for the bank to reject the deposit and for the IRS to issue a paper refund check.  If the bank accepts the deposit or worse, if it gets into someone else' account, it could get more difficult to resolve as the IRS cannot not be held responsible.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-18

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George5
Level 1

George - ProSeries Basic

I entered client's bank routing number for wire deposit which is incorrect for domestic transaction. IRS sent refund over 60 days ago, which client never received in correct account number. Now I have to direct client to the bank manager to make sure they rejected IRS transaction. In the meantime, clients sold their home and address on tax return is not applicable. From previous IRS correspondence I recall that US Post Office does not forward letters from IRS to the new addresses of recipients. Hopefully client can update new mailing address with IRS on time. Just wonder how this might work with State of New Jersey Return as same clients have large refund due to wrong routing (wire) number? 

For now, thank you to grey bearded Level 15 expert for excellent pointing to Scenario on IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-18

0 Cheers