Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct deposit account number mistake

Highlighted
Level 1

I just e-filed the client tax return and the direct deposit account number is wrong. What are the options?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Level 3

No real options, IRS will attempt to deposit the money then when it gets sent back to them they will mail a check.  I started having clients initial account numbers so they have a chance to verify them before anything is sent.  Good habit so they can't be too upset if issues like this happens.  

Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

@Eddie903 wrote:

No real options, IRS will attempt to deposit the money then when it gets sent back to them they will mail a check.  I started having clients initial account numbers so they have a chance to verify them before anything is sent.  Good habit so they can't be too upset if issues like this happens.  

Good habit, indeed!

Highlighted
Level 8

The real problem occurs if the incorrect acct #, is a real account # of just someone else. If you live in a small town, you might call the bank, alert them of the situation, and the incorrect deposit amount, and someone might help you avoid it getting put in the wrong person's acct. 

The other alternative is possibly print off the Part of the 'Info Wks' that has the incorrect acct #,and maybe something that verifies the deposit amount (maybe client letter or return if you black out private info and amounts except the refund amount), and have your client go to his bank, and see if he can get them to reject the EFT deposit to the other account.  I don't think the banking institution can, just on its on, change where to deposit the funds, but that might be enough for them to reject it to the incorrect account. 

Your best hope is that the acct # is not valid, and they automatically reject the EFT transfer.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posed.
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

I hold the check up against my monitor to compare the numbers side by side...havent had any mistakes since I started doing this. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪