Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different status for the state return

athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi online community, 

Does anybody know if it is possible to use a state filing status different from the Federal? Where can I find information that is clear about that? I have been searching the Internet but it is not clear to me. All the articles that I have found seem to suggest to check the state requirements. Maybe somebody has the list of the states that allow this if any. Appreciate it. 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
PATAX
Level 15

I doubt if there is a comprehensive list of this since I would imagine most tax preparers are only concerned about the states that they prepare, and they can go on the applicable state websites to find the answer...

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I doubt you'll find a list for this, you'd need to research the state your'e working with. Ive heard some states will let you file Married Separate for the state when you file Jointly for IRS. Im in a community property state so Ive never prepared a return using this option.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

The curious side of me popped up once again.  Are you currently preparing returns for all 54 states?  If not why would you need to have such a list.  Because of all of the anvils over the years, my memory garage isn't as large as it used to be so I hate to clutter it up with extra stuff I don't need to know.  If Rhode Island was on such a list, I would hate to clutter up the garage with those extra nuts and bolts since I have never prepared a return for that state and I'm guessing I am not going to do so in the near future.  I focus on what I need to know for today and not worry about tomorrow until maybe tomorrow.

Slava Ukraini!