Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependents

Olgatax1
Level 3

I am a US citizen and so is my daughter who is 13 years old, however, my daughter live in the Phillipines all year with my parents, I go and stay with them 3-4 months of the year but she doesn't come to the US, she have her ss# and attends school there I send a $1000 a month for her support, can I claim my daughter as my dependent on my US taxes

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I am a tax pro and I do use Proseries worded the question from a client"

Then you will want to read the IRS reference, use the IRS tools, to be able to guide your client:

You might want to bookmark these links and read the IRS guidance.

Interactive wizards portal for determining dependency:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

And lots of other guided portals, right there.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
BobKamman
Level 15

This is a place where tax professionals who have nothing to sell but their knowledge, come to share thoughts with others in the same business. We are very busy now and don’t have time to give free advice. But since you obviously have Internet skills, you will have no problem finding the answer at irs.gov

qbteachmt
Level 15

@Olgatax1 

You posted in the community for using ProSeries software. Are you using that program? Or,

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte , and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks.

PATAX
Level 15

Bob and QB, you hit the nail on the head ... how many times do we have to hear this Echo...

qbteachmt
Level 15

@PATAX 

When you open a Reply box, look over to top right for the Macros dropdown. You should have that same response there, and it's one click.

Olgatax1
Level 3

I am a tax pro and I do use Proseries worded the question from a client 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I am a tax pro and I do use Proseries worded the question from a client"

Then you will want to read the IRS reference, use the IRS tools, to be able to guide your client:

You might want to bookmark these links and read the IRS guidance.

Interactive wizards portal for determining dependency:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

And lots of other guided portals, right there.

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks for the info QB, but that doesn't seem to exist on my smartphone... I will keep checking to see if I can find it. Thanks.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Yes, others that use a smart phone for this forum mentioned to Intuit things can be very different.

PATAX
Level 15

The Quickfinder book and the US Master tax guide book are also two great reference materials

Olgatax1
Level 3

Excellent Source to answer my question, although child did not live with parents the entire year, they can claim her as a dependent based on all other things considered, learned something new.

Thank You.

0 Cheers