Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependent amended return

nicky-shultz
Level 1

A client's child filed a tax return not stating that they were a dependent. Trying to amend the child's return to show this change, while also filing the parent's return on paper indicating this error. The child's dollar amounts do not change at all so program is not registering the option for a 1040-X. How do I go about changing the child's return to allow this change on the parent's return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You'll have to use the explanation area of the 1040X to show change youre reporting, but up at the top of page 2 of the 1040x you should see the change in exemptions, even if the dollar amounts dont change.

Personally, I'd input the original and amended figures in the column on the front page of the 1040X (just type them in, use override if you have to)...I had one kicked back as incomplete when I was amending but no dollar difference happened so the 1040x front page was empty.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You'll have to use the explanation area of the 1040X to show change youre reporting, but up at the top of page 2 of the 1040x you should see the change in exemptions, even if the dollar amounts dont change.

Personally, I'd input the original and amended figures in the column on the front page of the 1040X (just type them in, use override if you have to)...I had one kicked back as incomplete when I was amending but no dollar difference happened so the 1040x front page was empty.

Peter4375
Level 1

Do you have any thoughts as to how long to wait after filing amended return to re-file parents' return electronically?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can check and see what they show for the amended return

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

If its completed processing you may be able to Efile the parents, if not...it wont go through.

BobKamman
Level 15

Meanwhile, the kid gets a check for $1,200.

IRS prefers the 1040-X, but what I would do in this situation is a paper 1040, marked "Amended" across the top, and maybe attaching an explanation of what happened.

You can wait several months to try e-filing again, but a paper return for the parents will probably solve the problem faster.