Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deceased Person Tax Return

Level 3


Hoping for some guidance:

Tax payer passed away in August and he sent me all information days before he passed away. His sister is his personal representative. He is owed a refund on his tax return. His sister lives in another state.

1. Can his sister sign his tax return electronically on his behalf (electronically)?

2. Does this return needs to be filed in paper given that his sister is signing on his behalf?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Level 12
Level 12

You just fill out form 1310. Read instructions for form, and you can efile. Some people have said they get efile errors, but I filed a couple this year and had no issues, as long as you fill out form carefully you should be fine. Here is link to form with instructions: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1310.pdf

Level 12
Level 12

Forgot to mention that your state will probable have its own form to fill out